English 繁体中文 日本語 Česky Suomi Francais עברית Magyar Italiano 한글 Português Svenska

Mobile phone
Aichi Center For Japanese Studies - The Yamasa Institute
Blog Search 

Health Care and Insurance

"What happens if I get sick?"

Almost every student considering extended overseas study asks this question. An equally important question is to ask for precisely what assistance you will receive from the Institute you are considering enrolling in.

(Reprinted with permission from JLEIC Japan Study Guide)

Japan is a safe country and the standard of medical care is one of the world’s highest. However students need to consider what will happen if they are taken ill, and in some cases make preparations that will make life easier during their stay if illness occurs.

Yamasa's campus is located next to Minami (South) Hospital - in fact the doors of the hospital and those of the main Yamasa II building are less than 200 meters apart. At all times during your stay, Yamasa faculty and administrative staff will be available to assist you with any medical problems or questions you have, and wherever required in your own language. Virtually all of Yamasa's faculty and administrative staff have first hand experience of living and studying in a foreign country. Communication is usually the most frustrating part of health care when studying abroad; it is something you won't need to worry about as a Yamasa student.


For the safety and welfare of our students, Yamasa strongly recommends that all students coming to Japan on a short-stay visa be covered by travel insurance or an international health care insurance policy that is acceptable in Japan for the full period of your stay. You should take out an insurance policy before coming to Japan. You will usually have to pay for any treatment in Japan and then receive a refund from your insurer - it is best to bring a credit card or ensure that you can arrange funding for an emergency. Yamasa will assist in obtaining any receipts and translations required for any insurance claims free of charge.

If you are entering Japan with a student visa then you are eligible to join the Japan National Health Insurance (JNHI) program on arrival. JNHI provides full cover for medical services include dental work and as a student you will receive a reduction of up to 60% in the premiums. The JNHI policy covers between 70% and 80% of the cost of general medical and dental care and hospitalization. Yamasa staff will assist you in obtaining the insurance. You will receive receipts for the part payments you need to make if you require medical attention. If your expenses for one year exceed a certain level (usually about 60,000 yen per year) then the excess is refunded.

In summary, when you are choosing an institute, make sure that you consider not just the quality of teaching and faculty, facilities and availability of accommodation, but also check that you will be provided with the support and information required to ensure that you are able to study in comfort and without additional worries or distractions.

Hattori Foundation
The YAMASA Institute

1-2-1 Hanehigashi-machi, Okazaki City
Aichi Prefecture, 444-0832, Japan
Tel: +81 (0)564 55 8111
Fax: +81 (0)564 55 8113
Email: admissions@yamasa.org

© 1992 - 2017 The YAMASA Institute